Thanks to William S. Chase for the excellent website and information on his grandfather
Levi Chase, The Fighting Commander!
Have you ever wondered why the Cortland County airport is called
- It is named after General Levi Chase, who was one of America's most highly decorated fighter pilots.
- Levi Chase flew in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, including over 500 combat missions.
- Levi Chase was awarded countless medals and decorations, including 3 Silver Stars for valor in combat.
- His many aerial victories were achieved in P 40s and P 51s, in North Africa and Southeast Asia.
- Hometown: Cortland, NY.
- Born 1917, Deceased 1994.
- Graduated Cortland High School 1936.
- Attended Syracuse University 1937 - 1940.
- Attended Albany Law School 1946 - 1949.
- Enlisted as a private 1941. Retired as a Major General 1973.
- Double Air Ace (12 Aerial Victories).
- March 1945 downed by enemy fire in Burma behind enemy lines. Read the story in his own words here.
- Please visit the website The Fighting Commander for fascinating info on General Chase.
Click here to be brought to our facebook page